What is the cause and treatment for cough and sore throat?

Hi my son coughing continuously for the last few days running a moderate temp and suffering from sore throat what could be the cause and cures?? thanks
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Symptoms indicate common cold/viral infection... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, The symptoms your son is experiencing could be related to common cold or flu (viral infection). If the cough is productive (with sputum), then, should be checked by a physician to rule out bronchitis. Meanwhile, I'd suggest to: - ask him to get more rest - avoid exposure to cold temperatures and dry air - try to humidify the room or place he is in - aerosol therapy with saline can help him - elevate his body from shoulder to head at night in order to help him breathe - keep a good oral hygiene. Ask him to do gargle with water and salt. I usually advise my patients to use 1 teaspoon of olive oil and honey in the morning or during the day, apart from meals - give him plenty of water, and tea (I usually advise linden tea) - Use otc throat spray or candies - keep his airways clear (use saline nasal drops/spray to clear nose) - if the cough is productive, can use otc herbal cough syrup or carbocystein syrup - if the cough is not productive, give him anti-histaminic syrup/pill at night time - give acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever, especially at night time If no improvement within 3 to 5 days, or the temperature will get higher, should consult a physician as might need to take oral antibiotic and to further evaluate ear and throat condition. Wish fast recovery to your son! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!