What is the cause and treatment for contact dermatitis on hands?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
I was just treated for contact dermatitis on my hands, and just finished prednisone last week. I know have an extremely dry, itchy red chest and next. In addition, my arms have become swollen with little bumps and they are very red. My skin everywhere is super dry. My eyes are also swollen. Does this sounds like an allergy or some kind of auto immune disorder?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This is a form of contact dermatitis,allergic type Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for your query. As you describe you have allergic contact dermatitis This occurs when your immune system reacts against a specific substance. The substance is then called an allergen. You only need a small amount of allergen in contact with your skin to cause the rash. You may need patch testing to identify the causative substance. A steroid cream or ointment will usually clear the rash. However, the long-term treatment is to avoid contact with the causative substance. Take care of your self
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for contact dermatitis on hands? 1 hour later
I stopped taking my round of steroids( which was 3 weeks) as of this past wed. My neck literally feels like i have a 3rd degree burn and my skin is so tight. Im aftaid to put anything on it, as i have just been usig almond oil since prescribed prednisone and trying to simply what i come ino contact with. Any suggestions on hiw to soothe this ? Im scheduled for a patch test in 2 weeks. Im confused at the different symptoms and how they all = contact dermatitis .
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try with home remedies. Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern. The rash may be treated by applying cool water compresses followed by drying. Once the weeping and oozing have stopped, then you can apply potent topical steroids two to three times a day to the affected areas . Use an antihistamines to relief itching. These tips can be used until you will do patch test. Take care of your self.