What is the cause and treatment for cold induced skin allergies?

Jan 2014

I am having skin allergies sometimes when my body is exposed to cold weather.i am not able to control, i have to crawl that part and after then rashes will be there,,but after sometime rashes will disappear.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urticaria Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of Physical Urticaria/Hives (Cold induced) OR Cholinergic Urticaria. Urticaria OR hives can occur due to various causes like(to name a few): -Infections(bacterial , viral, fungal) -Drugs -Certain foods and food additives/preservatives Physical Urticaria: Cold temperature, Heat, Pressure(Prolonged Standing, Sitting), Dermaographism etc. -Cholinergic Urticaria: in response to strong emotions, exercise, spicy food etc -Autoimmune disorders like SLE, RA etc. -A few cases have no underlying cause and are known as idiopathic urticaria. I would advice you to get few basic lab tests like Hemogram, stool for ova/cyst, Urine routine, Chest Xray. An oral antihistamine like Fexofenadine OR Loratadine once or twice daily for a week would be suitable. They are non-sedating and wont affect your alertness level. A topical soothing lotion like calamine would help you symptomatically. take care regards