What is the cause and treatment for chronic pain and knots in the neck and twitching of the eye?

My son has had a sore left side of neck for months. He is a competitive hockey player and plays very physical. I've been taking him to deep tissue massage treatments every two weeks for the past three months. At his first treatment, the lady said he had several knots on his left side that might not go away till three or four more treatments. His neck does feel better after those treatments, but only for a day, then the pain is back. But as of two weeks ago, his right eye is blinking and twitching. What could be wrong with him? Should i try to get an MRI? Should I get him to our family doctor or another professional?
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Examination required. your family doctor Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. The chronic pain and knots (swelling) in the neck needs to be evaluated. This may be due to infection and since it is there for several months he needs to be evaluated. Better to get examined (general physical examination) by your family doctor or general physician once. He also requires complete haemogram and chest x ray or CT SCAN once. This will help in complete management. The blinking / twitching may be due to calcium or vitamin deficiency or due to any problem in the nerve supply. So better to get examined once for diagnosis. Till then ask him to do regular salt water gargle, steam inhalation and NSAID like aceclofenac for pain/inflammation and good nutritious food. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will ne glad to answer them. Wish your son good health and faster recovery. Regards