What is the cause and treatment for candidal balanoposthitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have developed a condition where I get cuts on my foreskin during sex, also when its too streched like erection state and if I am rubbing. I have shown a Dr and already gone through a course of antbiotics like Doxy and Moxam-400. but the state persists, This may due to cuts suffered over a period of 1.5 yrs as my wife had infection which has got cured now.Its apparent that problem now is not due infection and occurs withour intercourse. What shall I do regain elastcity and cure from the cuts? I do not have tight foreskin neither diabetes. I am not sure if this problem lies with Skin/Surgeon/Urologist/Sexual disease spl.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. --How are the cuts oriented?Are they vertically oriented all around the circumference of the prepuce? --What are the symptoms?Do you have itching or pain? --Was the foreskin fully retractable before this problem started? --Is there some discoloration/depigmentation OR whitenning of the skin of prepuce? --What was your wife treated for? Does she have vaginal discharge or vulval pruritus? Can you send a clear picture of the affected area which shows me how far you can retract the prepuce? I would be able to help you better by having a look at it.. I would keep a possibility of either Candidal Balanoposthitis OR Lichen Simplex et Atrophicus(LSeA). Regards Dr. Kakkar

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for candidal balanoposthitis? 20 hours later
How are the cuts oriented?Are they vertically oriented all around the circumference of the prepuce?(Cuts are vertical, the position seems to be repetitive ie same places, but depends on friction , can extend all over also. --What are the symptoms?Do you have itching or pain?( cuts are visible, no itching, little pain happens when water is applied for first time, after that none. --Was the foreskin fully retractable before this problem started?( yes, never had problem with this issue) --Is there some discoloration/depigmentation OR whitenning of the skin of prepuce?( No, somitimes there is a inflammation in a place(vein), which subsides later. the skin looks damaged/streched now and not a smooth one --What was your wife treated for? Does she have vaginal discharge or vulval pruritus?( in XXXXXXX she was shown dr it says mild PID, She was given medicine Doxy100, metrogyl, t emanzen D, pantacid. She has acidity problem and earlier Dr mentioned that recurrence infcetion may is due to acidity also. In Aug she was given t taxim oz, t-zocon 150, pantacid, candid b ointement. she was fully cured after this. in may she had vaginal discharge n candidasis she was given nuforce sz kit, forcan , candid pessary. in april she got diagonised for vaginal swab n detected beta-hemolytic streptococcus n then she was given aksimax 625, forcan 150, pansec, zole-f ointement, clingen vaginal supplemen In last 10 dyas , I had surgeon opiniom and he suggetsed Doxy 150 (2x) and Moxam 400 for 10 days. I think this has not helped in improving skin scneario as cuts happen when penis in erect state and if streched or rubbed. I have pics but do not know how to send?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: candidal balanoposthitis, oral +topical antifungal Detailed Answer: Hi. After going through the pictures, it looks to me a case of candidal balanoposthitis. Judging from the treatment that was given to your wife, i could come to a conclusion that may be you got the infection during sexual intercourse and vice-versa. Therefore, ideally both the partners should be treated simultaneously so that they don't reinfect each other. In my practice i recommend topical steroid+antifungal cream (clotrimazole + beclomethsone)twice daily for a week. A single dose of an oral anti-fungal e.g fluconazole 150 mg is also recommended. Abstain from sexual intercourse while you are on treatment OR you can use a condom I think this should be sufficient for the current episode of candidal balanoposthitis. In case you have recurrent candidal balanoposthitis, it is advisable to take oral fluconazole 150 mg once every month for 3 consequtive months. Abstain from sexual intercourse while you are on treatment OR you can use a condom take care regards

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for candidal balanoposthitis? 7 minutes later
Hi Dr Is this 2 medicine or one? Shall we mix the 2 cream? Pls specify name of cream topical steroid+antifungal cream (clotrimazole + beclomethsone)twice daily for a week. + A single dose of an oral anti-fungal e.g fluconazole 150 mg . Shall I stop the Doxy and Moxam( 3 days are left/1 week over) Does my wife needs to take any medicine or apply any cream? how can she know, she is cured

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: oral +topical antifungal Detailed Answer: Hi. --Its a single cream containing combination of topical steroid+antifungal (clotrimazole + beclomethsone). Comes by the name of candid-B Or Clotrin -B in india. --Oral fluconazole 150mg (Zocon or Forcan), single dose. Same thing your wife took, as mentioned by you. --In my view no need to take Doxy and XXXXXXX --If your wife is cured now, then no need to give her. But abstain from sexual intercourse for a week, till you are cured of it. take care regards