What is the cause and treatment for bowel obstruction?

Dec 2012

My problem has XXXXXXX going on for about eleven months now back in April of 2013 I noticed I was having problems going to the bathroom I would go days without having a bowls movement so I would take a laxative to go and it helped but a couple days would go by and the samething would happen all over so i I gave up eating the way I was and eating more fiber and grinking more water more then eight oz a day more like a gal. In April my weight was at 308lb today I'm at 216lb and I'm still having problems going sometimes I would go on my XXXXXXX and it wouldn't very much so I would drink prune juice in the morning and it would help me go. now it feels like I'm not getting it all out I will go all day felling pressure on lower right and left side of my waist line like where you have a pair of jeans on if it helps I'm a male, but I have noticed I'm still loosing weight Imy eating habits consist of skinless chicken breast and vegetables like peas to go with it sometimes I'll have beef like a plain burger with chips and baked beans chili or pea soup for dinner,my lunch is like a XXXXXXX sanwitch with peas or carrots some times I will have I cream in the evening but I watch what junk food I do eat, but what could be my problem. Oh sorry I left out I have to use my finger to get stool witch I hate very much but I have noticed that when I do this I feel something inside that feels hard its not stool it feels round and it gets harder if I push like to go and it's like way inside the anus is this normal I've never noticed it before.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Absolutely not normal Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query, It is quite obvious that you are having problems of bowel obstruction. Bowel obstruction when partial can often present as you have described. It might be compacted stool or colo-rectal tumor i.e tumor or internal hemorrhoid that may occur around your colon or rectum. The lump or mass you maybe feeling might be responsible for this obstruction. You will require thorough physical exams and maybe a colonoscopy at doctor's consultation before we can be able to determine exactly what is obstructing your bowels. Laxatives might only come in handy from time to time, but you will require specific treatment and maybe as last resort (depending on what is obstructing) a surgical procedure to de-obstruct your bowel and permit you to stool properly. I suggest you see a gastroenterologist or a visceral surgeon. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for bowel obstruction? 1 hour later
If I have a obstruction is it possible to have a regular bowls movement. sometimes when I awake I feel I have to go and it comes out soft and sometimes it looks normal.could this also be the reason I'm loosing weight or is it that I changed the way I eat.I forgot to mention I have never had any bleeding or vomiting if this may help
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is quite possible Detailed Answer: Thanks for updating, It is quite possible to have a lower bowel tumor which causes obstruction and still have regular bowel movements. My previous answer was based on the fact that you pass several days without having a bowel movements but I still support my point on partial lower bowel obstruction which may or may not be due to colon or rectal tumor. Bleeding might occur late in an advanced stage. Vomiting is rare in lower bowel obstructions. Yes, this condition can lead to weight loss given that your entire gut is upset and probably not digesting food as you suppose to. My recommendation at this point is for you to see a doctor for complete assessment. We can never tell exactly what is going on in your gut unless full investigation is done. Another condition that can have you present with those symptoms will be irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) but that should be an exclusion diagnosis only. Hope this helps and wish you the best Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for bowel obstruction? 2 hours later
than you very much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Your welcome Detailed Answer: Hope I was able to help you. Feel free to write back if you have any more questions. Dr. Nsah