What is the cause and treatment for blood in stool after Cdif infection and cardiac arrest?

I am 82 years old. For the past two days I have noticed a lot of bright red blood in my stool. I have had Cdif infection during my hospitalization from cardiac arrest in March 2012. While recovering fro the cardiac arrest, i was intubated for nine days. When the tube was removed from my throat, I believe my vocal cords and/or my esophagus my have been damaged since I could not speak clearly for several months. Even now I have problems speaking clearly and loudly. The Cdif infection was supposedly cured. I had open heart surgery in September 2012. The aortic valve was replaced, the mitral valve was repaired and also had a bypass.The surgery was a success and I feel 100% cured from that problem. But since my surgery, I have been having stomach pains. Doctors have been unable to diagnose the cause of those pains. Lately the pains have been more severe but not consistent. I take Plavix, Crestor and 81mg aspirin tablets along with other blood pressure medications. Yesterday I had a severe anxiety experience in dealing with a building contractor for work done in our home. It may be that that may have triggered a reaction in my intestinal tract or caused inflamation of an uncler which I did not know I had. I very concerned about this bleeding. Do you have any ideas as to what is the cause of the bleeding. I recently had to change physicians. I was on a follow-up medical check-up program with my previous physician but I don't know if the new doctor is available for an emergency call. Do you have any ideas as to the cause of this recent bleeding and what is the next step I should take in curing the cause of this bleeding.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get Colonoscopy Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day As you have mentioned that you are no Aspirin and you also have anxiety. Both these factors are independent causes for occurrence of Gastric/ Duodenal Ulceration. Presence of bright red blood is possibly due to local colonic pathology. The etiology or cause depends on associated symptoms. If the bleeding is painless ( no pain while passing blood or stools) it could be due 1. Hemorrhoids- Diagnosis requires good clinical examination by Surgeon 2. In the Presence of abdominal pain , I would consider the possibility of inflammatory condition of colon especially infectious like Amoebiasis . The diagnosis is likely in presence of increased bowel movements 3. Inflammatory bowel disease is also to be considered. I would suggest you to consult a General Surgeon or Gastroenterologist and get Colonoscopy of whole colon and also intubation of terminal illeum and taking appropriate biopsy. I am very much sure that getting Colonoscopy will help in arriving at diagnosis. Further management can be planned depending on the findings. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you a very Happy New Year 2014. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD