What is the cause and treatment for a painful lump behind my ear?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
i have pain behind my ear more into my hairline theres like a bump(bone) sticking out and it hurts to touch and my ear feels blocked
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: could be an infection Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to Health care magic, I have gone through your problem and it is most likely to be an infection of the skin in the scalp area near your ears. Most of these infections subside in a day or two without much intervention so you do not have to worry. In any case you can do these: -Do not meddle or pick on the area -Keep the area dry and clean and you can avoid head bath for a day or two -If the pain is very severe then you can take a pain killer like paracetamol in consultation with your doctor. -If you have a local antiseptic ointment or even a powder you can apply these locally twice daily for a couple of days till the swelling and the pain subsides. -Keep your sugar under control. These infections are very common in diabetes -In any case if the infection is very severe then you may have to wait for a day or two and start an antibiotic like amox-clav in consultation with your doctor. -If your ears are also blocked then it may be an associated respiratory infection or an Eustachian tube block or dysfunction. For this you should do steam inhalation with menthol or other vaporiser at least three times a day for a week or two. -If you are getting recurrent scalp infection then you must consult your dermatologist so that seborrhoec dermatitis can be ruled out. In any case wait for a day or two and if the symptoms persists then you must consult an ENT surgeon Hope this helps and I will be happy to answer any doubts that you may have regards and get well soon Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for a painful lump behind my ear? 9 hours later
Do u recomend anything over the counter i can take?

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: pain killers Detailed Answer: Hello again, Like I mentioned before you can take a pain killer like paracetamol and anti biotic like amox -clav in consideration with your doctor. Hope this helps Regards Dr Sriram Nathan