What is the cause and treatment for Tinea Pedis?

Jan 2014

Hi Dr, I have been having a problem on my right feet between the last two fingures , the skin between the fingure peels off as if its soked in water, feel its because their is not much gap between figures to flow air to dry it, but its happening from some years, specially in monsoon and winter, im afraid it wud lead to some infection in future, attached the pics, pls advice how to stop it Regards
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinea Pedis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM I would keep a possibility of Tinea Pedis. This happens due to exactly the same reason which you mentioned i.e trapping of moisture due to lack of air flow thus leading on to maceration of skin, which provides an ideal environment for the fungus to proliferate. Conditions predisposing to this are wearing footwear/shoes throughout the day OR for most of the day specially in summers when there is lot of sweating and humidity. If I was you treating doctor I would have asked you to apply a topical antifungal cream e.g Clotrimazole/Sertaconazole OR Luliconazole twice daily in between the fingers for 4-6 weeks. An oral antifungal e.g Fluconazole 150 mg once every week for 4-6 weeks. General measures like wearing slippers Or sandals rather than shoes for most part of the day also helps a lot in resolving the condition and preventing its recurrence. Once the condition resolves I recommend my patients to use an antifungal dusting powder (Clotrimazole dusting powder) in between the finger spaces, which not only keeps the area dry and thus unconducive for fungus growth but also prevents the fungus to grow again due to its antifungal action. take care regards