What is the cause and treatment for Phyleonphritis?

Hi Dr Grief My son is in the hospital as we speak, he has Phyleonphritis severe case that right now he his battling a kidney Infection with a stent in him . The Docs don't know what kind of a bug he has cause its not helping with the medication which they have him hook to IVwith the antiboctics,. He is due to have his kidney remove completely what if his other Kidney is not functioning well due to overworking itself from the other Kidney. Does he have to go to dialysis?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Very unlikely to go for dialysis Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this pyelonephritis that your son has. I don't for real know what the germ is but a culture would be able to identify the germ and what antibiotic is best adapted to treat this infection. My thinking is not that this bug is resistant but rather because the kidney is completely destroyed that antibiotics can no longer make any significance difference and keeping it would be more harmful than helpful to the body. One kidney is largely sufficient to assure all the kidney functions. Two kidneys simply offer greater assurance and not that one is insufficient. If one were not able to maintain good kidney functions, persons will never donate one of their kidneys. Unless there is another reason that sets int o make this kidney unable to carry out its functions, there is no reason why would go on to require dialysis. Remember persons voluntarily donate their kidney to loved ones because one is largely sufficient to enable proper functioning of the renal system. I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for more information or clarifications if need be. Thank you for using our services and I wish your son a safe surgery and a rapid healing after this surgery. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.