What is the cause and treatment for GERD?

Yesterday I thought I was having a heart attack I went to primed they ran test and said my test came back great but I almost feel like I am having a panick attack but this just started yesterday It feels like there is something hung right at the top of my chest or the bottom of my throat my head feels tingaly I feel dizzy and nautious it does it and then it will back off a little then do it again I seem to be able to eat chips or stuff like that but when I tried to eat my breakfast of pancakes this morning I had to quite of throw up I have been trying to quit smoking for the past 3 days but I am a little scared of what this is
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 3 hours later
Brief Answer: GERD, Smoking cessation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using HCM. I went through the query and understood your concern. Since your test for came back negative the most probable cause for your pain and nausea may be due to reflux gastroesophagitis(GERD). These are common experiences when one stops smoking. This is great attitude. You should keep sipping lemon tea, fluids to keep this sensation away. The mucus cells keep secreting and hinder the air flow. 1. In GERD the stomach contents reflux back in to the food pipe causing symptoms like heartburn , belching , nausea etc. In addition to medications like antiemetic with acid suppressants (eg. Pantoprazole + domperidone), lifestyle and dietary changes are important for relief. Avoid coffee, citrus, chocolates, oily/spicy/fatty food, onion, garlic. Avoid eating full stomach, eat multiple smaller meals instead. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food and your head end of the cot should be raised. 2. Smoking cessation should be done under doctor's guidance. If you are addicted to it and sudden stopping of smoking can also cause all the symptoms you mentioned earlier. You can use nicotine patches or chewing gum in the initial stage and then gradually quit completely I suggest you to consult your doctor for quitting smoking and get an upper GI endoscopy to rule out any peptic ulcers and a chest x-ray may be helpful to rule out unnecessary things. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Regards