What is the cause and treatment for Alopecia aerata?

Dermatologist
Question
Mu daughter is 21 years old. She has exema, asthma, alopecia aureana, and an allergy to gluten and dairy. She is currently seeing a dermatologist at Tufts in Boston, MA. The scalp injections are not working very well. Little hair growth after 3 visits. I am wondering whether an immunologist may be better able to get to the root of her problem and help her. What are your thoughts? I am not the best at email and was hoping your answer would print out on the screen! I gave u my son's email since mine was said to be invalid? How can I see it omn my computer screen.? Can the answer be posted on the screen. I have paid 30$ for the answer. I would rally like to see it now please! thank you. Why am I getting no response from anyone to my follow up questions? Please respond !!!
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: oral steroids Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. Alopecia aerata is an auto immune condition. The best treatment is local steroid injections. If she is not getting response, oral steroid and topical tacrolimus cream can be tried. Oral steroid will also help in controlling asthma. Kindly discuss this with your dermatologist. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you