What is the cause and remedy for headache before sex ?

Good day sir,
During the excitment phase while having sex or just before sex with my spouse i had pain in right side of my forehead just on or above my right eye brow & right nostril.this pain lasted for around 3-4 hours after that although diminishing with time. I had history of sinusities & got operated for that few years back. After the operation everthing was normal .Only today & 2 days before i had this pain. Kindly advice about any test or medicine or any diagonasis for above episodes.

Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 minutes later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms and would like to rule out three possibilities:

1) The first possibility is of Coital Cephalgia which is characterized by a tight, cramping, dull pain, often occurring head, which intensifies as sexual excitement increases. It is thought to relate to excessive contraction of the head and neck musculature that occurs prior to orgasm.

2) The second possibility is of recurrent sinusitis or migraine attacks. An ENT examination and x-ray and CT sinuses can help in ruling out this condition.

3) The last possibility is of any brain aneurysm or any AV malformation in brain. For this it is better to get a CT/ MRI head done.

Treatment depends on the cause but if it is early Coital Cephalgia, then the first step is relaxation therapy and biofeedback mechanism. The other treatment options include drugs like Propranolol, Indomethacin, Calcium Channel Blockers and sometimes the use of Triptans. Treatment of Recurrent/Chronic Sinusitis and Brain Aneurysm is specific.

My suggestion would be to consult a Physician and get these investigations done. Till then, make a deliberate effort to relax prior to sex, start intensifying your sexual excitement more gradually and not to have intercourse when under stress, tired or in succession.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.