What is the cause and meaning of small amount of fluid in cul de sac ?

Question
can unmarried girls small fluid in cul de sag.
what does this indicate .The ultrasound person said its pid .What does that mean and can it occur in unmarried girls also.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Follow-up: What is the cause and meaning of small amount of fluid in cul de sac ? 2 minutes later
does fluid in cul de sag means that a girl is not virgin and can virgins also have pid.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Please relax, fluid in cul de sac is does not indicate that female is not virgin.

I think it is the fluid after rupture of ovarian follicles during ovulation. If so this is normal and it is not to be worried at all.

The other reason is a PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease).

PID means in broad terms pelvic inflammatory disease.This includes infection of lining of uterus,tubes and ovaries.This can happen due to many reasons for this,one of them is unprotected sexual relation.The commonest possibility is yet again unprotected sex with infected partner.

Please understand that there are other various way by which infection can enter this site. In medical science only reports can not be treated. Your doctor might suspected a infection and that is the reason why ultrasound is advised. Virgin can have PID.

You should speak to the treating doctor instead of panic about what the sonologist told you.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: What is the cause and meaning of small amount of fluid in cul de sac ? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply sir
What has cul de sac to do with ectopic (if i remember it right ,this was the term used by the sonologist)
CAn i send u my reports for examination.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

Cul de sac is a pouch like thing behind the uterus. Fluid in this area in a very little amount could be normal at times.

In case of ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy that is out side uterus),when it gets ruptured there is collection large amount of fluid in the cul de sac.

Only reports are not helpful in diagnosing any condition.You need to visit a gynecologist for proper examination to have complete clue about diagnosis.

There is no need to send reports to me,as I wrote earlier without examination only reports cannot help in diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: What is the cause and meaning of small amount of fluid in cul de sac ? 5 hours later
Thanks for the reply sir
My dates have been like this .I had physical relation with my partner on 4th and 5 th of feb (my dates were due but i had tablets to delay them)

I had i pill after that.My dates lasted from 7th to 10 th feb (not as heavy flow as i normall have)

Then dates were 5th to 7th march normal flow.
I had a relation on 18 march .19 march and had a ipill on 19 th .then 21 and 23 had a relation and again a ipill.

I had light periods that lasted from 26 th march to 29 march.
Since march i feel nausea and pain in abdomen ,acidity and at times bad taste .

In april dates were 24 to 27 april(first three days heavy flow)
in may 16 to 19 (heavy flow)

can it be ectopic as i have pain in lower abdomen right side ,pain in lower back and right shoulder .Still having pain i right abdomen ,the reports said (ultrasound ) small fluid in cul di sac .

i have pain in right shoulder and right side lower abdomen.
CAn it be ectopic ,please tell as though my periods are begular they have shifted from 24 days to 21 days cycle and from 5-6 days to 4 days .Although first threedays flow is heavy.

Kindly suggest

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

You had relation with your partner last on 19th march, after that you had your periods in march, april and may.

You have not missed your periods so there is no chance of pregnancy. Again ultrasound routinely can pick up ectopic well. After ultrasound I think there is no confusion.

The periods being heavy and irregular due to side effects of the I pill, as it contain high doses of hormones and would return to normalcy gradually.

Please relax, if you so tense you can go for second opinion and repeat the ultrasound.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.

Regards.