Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the brownish color in my sperm?

I have a brownish color in my sperm. Could it be blood? What is it and why?...
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: haematospermia? Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, there is a significant possibility that what you have experienced is blood in sperm. This can be confirmed by means of a semen analysis, and if required, you might need a scan of your prostate and seminal vesicles. You could improve with empirical use of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs and the semen could return to its normal milky white appearance but this could recur. Most cases of haematospermia are fortunately benign but usually no cause can be found in nearly ninety percent of individuals. I suggest you avoid unusual exertion and intercourse till this clears up, which it should in a few days. Hope I have been of help. Regards.