What is the black spot on the neck with lump?

I have a small black spot on my neck under my jaw with a lump underneath. It has been there for awhile. It is tender if squeezed.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

There are a couple of possibilities here. Let me start out by first saying that painful lumps are usually less worrisome lumps. In your case I suspect this is either an inflamed hair follicle with a little bit of infection underneath which has caused swelling and tenderness OR an inflamed lymph node. Lymph nodes swell up in response to infections such as a sore tooth or sore throat. As far as the pigmentation or black spot as you call it, I am not sure if that is perhaps a bit of bleeding that occurred under the skin or maybe a freckle.

Here's what I would recommend: Warm compresses to the area 5 or 6 times per day. Try to not touch the area AT ALL. When we touch inflamed areas it can cause even more swelling. If the area remains swollen and painful with the black spot for more than 7 more days, you should have your doctor take a look at it.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I am available for your followups if needed.
Follow-up: What is the black spot on the neck with lump? 1 hour later
Earlier I tried applying a heating pad for 15 minutes. This seemed to make it more inflamed. Should I still continue with warm compresses?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for your followup,

Yes, warm (not hot) moist compresses would be better than a heating pad. Try these for 10 minutes or so several times per day and I believe it will help.

I am here if you have any additional concerns.