What is the best way to treat toe nail fungus?

Hello. What is the best way to treat toenail fungus? If by medication, what is the best type for this with least side effects? Myself, I am healthy no history of diabetes or heart issues.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 28 minutes later
The best way to treat toe nail fungus is to use oral and topical antifungals.

Oral antifungal
Fluconazole- taken as once weekly tablet of 150 mg
Terbinafine - taken as 250 mg tablet daily
Itraconazole- taken as pulse therapy of 200 mg twice in a day for one week in a month. Three cycles needs to be done

Topical antifungal
Clotrimazole, sertaconazole, amrolfine, oxiconazole, miconazole, terbinafine are some topical formulation which should be used twice daily.

Clipping of nails on regular basis is required.
The response takes time to be visible as toe nail grows slowly. It might require 4 months to an year o show complete response.

Hope that helped. Should there be clarification required, please write back.
Follow-up: What is the best way to treat toe nail fungus? 3 minutes later
What do you prefer with respect to oral antifungal med? Fluconazole, Terninafine, or Itraconazole?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I prefer itraconazole for toe nail fungal infection as its quite effective for toe nail fungus and compliance with itraconazole is quite good as it has to be taken for a week in month.
Hope that helped.