What is the best way to treat an open and infected pore on the face at home?

ENT Specialist
What is the best way to treat an open and infected pore on the face at home? Please recommend products and the regime to follow.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
When you say home treatments, I assume you’re looking for natural remedies and not drugs.
Pimples can be easily treated by applying 0.1% adapalene ointment at night on the pimple. Ordinarily, your pimple would disappear in the next 3-4 days. For the home remedies, well, First and foremost step for infected pimple over face is to keep it clean, wash it with soap and plain water at regular interval. Do not touch the pimple. It makes it more prone to leave a scar.

The following techniques will also help
1- Add lemon juice and XXXXXXX water in equal quantities and apply this mixture on the affected area for about half an hour. Regularly following this remedial procedure for about three to four weeks is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Pimples.

• Lemon juice can also be applied in combination with an equal amount of groundnut oil to prevent as well as cure this embarrassing problem.

• Honey is also considered good for skin. Applying a mixture prepared from three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder over night is another popular natural cure for this irritating problem. This natural remedy is sure to give encouraging results if followed for at least two weeks.

• Regularly applying the pulp of ripe tomatoes on the face for about an hour or so helps in the effective treatment of Pimples. Cucumber pulp can also be used in the same way with the same results.

• Raw papaya juice can be applied on the Pimples to cure Pimples naturally.

• Take some roasted and powdered peels of pomegranate fruit. Next, add some lime juice to this powder to make a paste like mixture. Applying this mixture is one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Pimples.

Follow any one of the above given regimen, for atleast 2 weeks, you will definitely get relief from symptoms. Though there are many more regimens but I have selected only those with clinical trials in alternative medicine literature.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Follow-up: What is the best way to treat an open and infected pore on the face at home? 9 hours later
Thank you so much. This was all very interesting and helpful. I guess I should tell you that I am not afraid of using commercial products from the drug store. Specifically, what is your opinion about Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid treatment washes and topical medications? I have heard that BP actually kills bacteria and may be the best to use, but there are so many products available with Sal. Acid in them that it must work on something. Which of the two treatments do you recommend using for a pretty inflamed and infected pore? Should I use both - one after the other? Also, I am curious about what you think is more effective for treating an infection - Neosporine or BP or Sal. Acid?

Okay, finally, should I put a bandaid on the pore after I wash and treat it or not? I saw a product made by Band Aid that is a waterproof clear bandage to be left on the skin for about a week and they claim when you take it off your wound should be healed up. Is this a good strategy for an infected pore do you think? How about just regular old band aids? Is it best to not cover the pore and expoose it to light and air?

Thank you, again, for your help!
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 9 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, definitely Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid will work, you may apply it.

Keep the wound open and allow it to heal because covering the wound will further invite the anaerobic bacteria growth.