What is the best way to quit smoking?

What is the best way to quit smoking? I have tried atleast twice with first attempt successful for 6 months and second one for 2 months. I tend to smoke when I am in office environment so how to manage that?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Consistent efforts.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Quiting smoking is not hard; but you need consistent efforts. I am surprised as well do not understand why and how you picked up the habit after you successful quit for 6 months. Most individuals have been successful in quiting when they were away from it for more than 6 months. But again, you need to try again. The primary requisite is your motivation and persistence. You mentioned you tend to smoke in the office environment, perhaps the trigger is at your office. I would like to suggest a few tips before I proceed to discuss about the medical aspects. 1. Talk to your friends and colleague that you wish to quit. Sometimes or rather most times, friends and colleagues discussion about cigarette is the trigger that makes you smoke. Request them not to talk about it in your presence. 2. Perhaps you would have a favorite smoking area / shop; make it an effort to stop avoiding it - you can take an alternate route to work place. 3. Perhaps you smoke at fixed time, keep yourself engaged and occupied during those hours; you will be surprised to see that you have passed this crucial hour and you no longer crave for it. 4. Try alternatives during the tricky hour if you aren't able to make yourself occupied. Chewing a gum, munching a carrot, fruit can help. 5. Restrict alcohol and caffeine, they stimulate your urges. Most of my patients have been able to get over smoking with these and other tips they learnt from community and web. Give it a best effort and you will be able to get over it. Now about the medical aspects, there are couple of ways: 1. Use nicotine gums. These are available as nicorette at most chemist stores. They have milder effects of cigarette just enough to keep you away from cigarette sticks and are easier to withdraw later. 2. Medications such as varencilline and buspirone are prescribed by some doctors to help them quit smoking. You can keep this as the last resort since these are prescription only medicines. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards