What is the best way to get rid of restless legs?

Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A clinician review required

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Really the best way is not having it.
If you are having a job that requires prolonged standing currently or in the past then you might be having loose veins as a cause, this problem is called varicose veins and may need surgical correction. if not much than changing the job may help.

Another set of patients have it due to vitamin B group deficiency, taking supplements and green leafy vegetables may help.

Lastly the patients have it due to depression, tired state or without any apparent reason.
These patients need medicines called benzodiazepines and antidepressants to be prescribed by a local physician to be taken on regular basis for 4-6 months time.

The regimen your doctor will know after examining you.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.

Take Care!
Follow-up: What is the best way to get rid of restless legs? 5 hours later
and what is the difference between akathisia and restless legs?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Signoficant difference

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
The akathisia is an inability to sit silent and inherent restlessness, it is a generalised phenomenon affecting all body and is not limited to legs only.
In contrast to Restless leg syndrome which occurs in otherwise apparently normal individuals, akathisia is associated with complex movement disorders of functional problems of brain and also associated with treatment with antipsychotic medicines.

In akathisia patient have least subjective discomfort while restless leg patient look normal but have much subjective morbidity.
The akathisia is handled by neurologists mainly and restless leg syndrome by both physicians and neurologists equally.

I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Follow-up: What is the best way to get rid of restless legs? 12 hours later
what is the treatment for akathesia? same meds?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 days later
Brief Answer:
No, akathisia drugs are different

Detailed Answer:
Hi Acc...
Welcome back.
As I told you it is a complex neurological issue and mostly related to antipsychotic drugs treatment.
The drugs doses should be reduced, or the class of drug can be swapped altogether.
If still the problem then an evaluation should be done on the possibilities of underlying problems, there are medicines for this but akathisia is difficult to treat.
The drugs for akathisia are different from restless leg syndrome drugs.
I hope that answers your query.