What is the best treatment for sinus infection causing post nasal drip and severe headache?

Question
Hello, I am having sinuses problem for awhile now. I tried zyretc, clartin, allegra, nasal decongesant, nasonex nasal spray, and nasal mosturizing spray (that hurts my throat). I tried endoscopic years ago and I tried humifider. The doctor gave me antibiotics for my sinus infection but after that the doctor wasn't a big help. The symptoms are post nasal drip and sinus headaches. I get sinus headaches once or twice sometimes more per week! I cannot afford to have a sinus headache because I am on public aid insurance and I had to take sumatriptan for my headaches because the pain is so strong that wouldn't go away with OTC pain killers. I do not know what to do. HELP!
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please provide additional information Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of your problems; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, may I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- # Do you get rapid onset of episodic common cold with sneezing, eye irritation, nasal discharge and wheeze? # Is there associated symptoms of nausea, intolerance to bright light at the time of headaches? Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of your problems; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, may I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal # Do you get relief with sumatriptan? # Are you suffering from chronic mental stress/anxiety? Nevertheless, pending receipt of additional information, I feel that you have two co-existing conditions (a) Allergic rhinitis with chronic sinusitis, and (b) Migraine A long-term (6-12 months) preventive treatment (for migraines) of a combination of an anti-depressant drug, such as serteraline; + an anti-anxiety drug, such as, alprazolam/clonazepam; + beta-blocker, such as metoprolol will cure your Migraines forever. For chronic sinusitis, a combination of montelukast + allegra (120mg twice daily) + AZELASTIN nasal spray for a long duration; + steam inhalation will give significant relief from sinus problems. In addition, nasonex nasal spray for 4 weeks along with azelastin nasal spray with enhance the effect of the latter spray. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion and prescribe the advised medications in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Awaiting the additional information as requested. Have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: What is the best treatment for sinus infection causing post nasal drip and severe headache? 14 minutes later
# Do you get rapid onset of episodic common cold with sneezing, eye irritation, nasal discharge and wheeze? No. Just post nasal drip and sinus headaches # Is there associated symptoms of nausea, intolerance to bright light at the time of headaches? Yes, mostly nausea. # Do you get relief with sumatriptan? Sometimes, but the headache would come back 12 hours later. # Are you suffering from chronic mental stress/anxiety? No, just a mild depression.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow my advice as given earlier Detailed Answer: Excellent! I am on the right track. Please follow the advice given earlier. I am sure you will get tremendous relief, PROVIDED you take the medications regularly. I will be glad to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal