What is the best treatment for lazy eye and to bring eyes sight to normalcy?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Respected Sir/Madam, My daughter is 3 years 9 months old. She was a full term baby. We noticed she had to hold her books very close to read and took her to an Eye Doctor. We were informed she was having very high eye power and have to wear glasses. Below is her prescription ; RIGHT LEFT SPH -10.00 -4.50 CYL -3.00 -3.00 AXIS 180 180 V/A 6/36 6/18 We also took a second opinion on the power and got this reconfirmed. We were informed of the lazy eye and the need to get the refractive error intervened. She is currently wearing glasses full time. Kindly advise us on the best medical course of action (whether in India or overseas ) to correct my childs eyes sight to normalcy. Thanking you.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: She is having high myopia with astigmatism Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic Iam Dr Dadapeer an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that your daughter is having high myopia with astigmatism with the refractive error more in right eye. The treatment she is on by wearing glasses is correct and need to continue the glasses with check up of the refractive power at regular intervals at least once in six months. The next thing required is treatment to prevent development of lazy eye or ambylopia as she is having unequal refractive power. This is done by closing the eye with less refractive error and using the other eye for some hours of the day. Hence I suggest you to consult your eye doctor or preferably one trained in pediatric ophthalmology for further advice regarding this. Hope the information is helpful to you. With regards Dr Dadapeer K

Follow-up: What is the best treatment for lazy eye and to bring eyes sight to normalcy? 14 minutes later
Thank you for your response. We were informed to wait until the power on the left eye (the one with less refractive error) stabilises and then do occlusion. Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can start occlusion later also. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. Waiting till the refractive error in left eye is also good idea and you can start occlusion treatment once the power is stabilized. The main rationale behind occlusion therapy is it has to be started before the child reaches six years of age and as your child is 3 years and 9 months old you can wait as per advice of your eye doctor. You need attend regular follow up with your doctor with examination of the refractive power as refractive power is known to change rapidly in this age group. Hope the information is helpful to you. With regards Dr Dadapeer k

Follow-up: What is the best treatment for lazy eye and to bring eyes sight to normalcy? 3 hours later
Respected Sir, Thank you for your response. For how much period occlusion need to be done for cases like my daughter to prevent lazy eye ? What would be the correct age to start occlusion for my daughter ?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Occlusion has to be started before 6 years. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up. The occlusion is basically of two types, full time and part time occlusion. I think for your child part time occlusion is sufficient once the refractive power is stabilized in one eye. Occlusion needs to be continued till there is visual improvement or fill the age of 10 to 12 years. Occlusion needs to started before the child reaches 6 years. The above mentioned are general rules and they have to be modified depending on the response of the child and visual improvement. This will be determined by your treating doctor depending on the response to treatment and visual growth. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you