What is the best treatment for constipation and small tender like hemorrhoid coming out of anus?

I am experiencing constipation and a small tender like hemorrhoid is coming out of my anus . What is the best thing to do? What medicine could be applied?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: sitz baths, topical steroid cream Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The main aspects of treatment of hemorrhoids are: (1) you need to reduce further straining to prevent worsening of the hemorrhoids, this can be done by increasing fiber and fluid intake. A stool softener would also be helpful (2)the use of sitz baths would help reduce any discomfort and also cause it to shrink. This would involve sitting in warm (not hot) water for 10 to 15 minutes , 2 to 3 times a day. You can add salt to the water. Some persons use epsom salts, witch XXXXXXX or various spices as well (3)apply a mild steroid cream to the area. This would reduce the inflammation. This can be applied twice daily for a few days. An example would be hydrocortisone (4)avoid prolonged sitting or standing. When sitting use a cushion or sitting ring. (5)the use of oral anti inflammatory pain killers would help to reduce any pain-ibuprofen, cataflam, naproxen (6)careful dab not wipe after using the bathroom to defecate,this would prevent any further trauma and inflammation. There are hemorrhoidal creams available such as preparation h but they have not be proven effective. I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What is the best treatment for constipation and small tender like hemorrhoid coming out of anus? 18 hours later
Hi, Dr. XXXXXXX Gibson XXXXXXX Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. If I buy the mild steroid cream, can I just mention "hydrocortisone" or is it the generic name? Thanks. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer: yes you can ask for that Detailed Answer: Hi Yes, you can ask for hydrocortisone or which ever mild steroid they have available. Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow-up: What is the best treatment for constipation and small tender like hemorrhoid coming out of anus? 25 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX are there any side effects of hydrocortisone? Thank you for your prompt reply. best regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: not if used appropriately Detailed Answer: hi The side effects are limited if used correctly. If excess is used it can cause thinning of the skin and lightening . This would occur if it is used for weeks continuously. You would be using it for less than a week and applying sparingly. ONce used in this way, there should not be any complications If anything else is unclear,let me know