What is the best treatment for a child suffering from skin infection in elbow fold?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Doctor, My 6 yr old daughter has some kind of skin infection in the elbow fold where the skin looks rough and itching for her. When we consulted a general physician, he advised an ointment "Triben plus" which controls as long as we apply it. It has been like this since almost 2 years. So looking for a correct treatment. Thank you, XXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly upload details with pictures Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome and thanks for posing your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the skin infection in the elbow fold in your daughter. The part of history is though helpful but not conclusive enough to guide you to best diagnosis or possibility. I request you to provide some details like: - Since the beginning of the spot - had there been any change in the spot as reduction or aggravation or complete disappearance and then reappearance. Kindly provide a brief history about its evolution and further changes in two years. - Any pain, itching or irritation over the the spot. - History of same type of spots any where else in body. The best of the part would be to send few good resolution pictures of the area so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia) Waiting for your reply so that I can guide you further. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: What is the best treatment for a child suffering from skin infection in elbow fold? 45 hours later
Thank you doctor XXXXXXX for the response. I am overwhelmed by this new experience.....getting guidance from an Expert doctor sitting elsewhere. I have uploaded 3 images where in the first one shows the affected area. She doesn't feel any pain but has itching in that area. Yes, it disappears and reappears from time to time in the same area (on right hand). Another place we noticed once or twice in the past is in knee folds of one of her leg though it is not present now and it was like a button size and not significant. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Brief Answer: "mild form" of “Atopic dermatitis” Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. XXXX, Welcome to the forum again and thanks for uploading good resolution pictures. After thoroughly analyzing the pictures the best possibility is "mild form" of “Atopic dermatitis”. It is not an XXXXXXX case but just a part of partial presentation of the same. It is mild eczema seen in children of this age group. It is very mild form which is present in your daughter. If you can see on in both the knee folds then can appreciate that there is bit redness and some mild eruptions on these areas. It is more pronounced on right knee fold then left one. On elbow fold too there is bit of patchy appearance of skin with dry scaly patch on the same. Do not worry about the same. It is quite often seen in children of this age group and your daughter has very mild form of it. This condition improves with age. It is more pronounced with change of weather and contact with synthetic garments and woolens with sometimes dust exposure too. For prevention the best part is by proper moisturization of skin and avoidance of aggravating factors. I suggest you to apply basically plane moisturizing cream over the affected area. The moisturizing cream should not contain any kind of fragrance in it or at the maximum very mild of fragrance in it. I suggest you to stop the application of "Triben plus" which is mixed cream and contains antifulgal with bit higher potency steroid which is not meant for children. If at all the redness is present then in my patients I prefer for either hydrocortisone or if it is even higher then only fluticasone cream ( not ointment as ointment is also bit higher potency). Apply any of the cream in least possible amount so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. One pea size amount is sufficient to apply on palm size area. I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay MD - Dermatology

Follow-up: What is the best treatment for a child suffering from skin infection in elbow fold? 2 days later
Thanks for the clarifications, Dr. XXXXXXX One final query in this regard. Can you please prescribe or suggest couple of good plain moisturisers for her. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer: OILATUM LOTION OR CREAM or ATOPIA CREAM Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome again and thanks for your follow up. To guide you further regarding the best moisturizing cream for your daughter – you can use OILATUM LOTION OR CREAM or ATOPIA CREAM or CETAPHIL MOISTURZING LOTION. In my own personal experience I find plane petroleum gelly to be quite effective if applied after warm water compression. You can do XXXXXXX warm compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition. Take a tub half filled with water. Pour pinch of table salt in it. Let her sit in it for about 15-20 minutes and clean the area well or you can do compresses with a towel also if she is not comfortable in sitting. After that you apply any bland moisturizer cream without fragrance in it. I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you or if you don't have nay then can close the discussion and rate the answer. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay MD - Dermatology