What is the best sleeping position after an inguinal repair surgery ?

Question
What is the best sleeping position to use after an inguinal repair surgery so as not to stress the wound and repair. (open surgery, left side)
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 26 minutes later

You may lie on your back or in right lateral position. Lying on left lateral position or on stomach is not advisable. Reclining position is better as it will help in reducing localized swelling and swelling of testicles.

For adults, open surgery for hernia repair usually involves a recovery period of up to 4 weeks before resuming normal strenuous activities. Although this recovery period may vary depending on the individual.

You may take light diet and drink plenty of liquids.Avoid spicy food.
You may also take good amount of fibre for smooth passage of stools, like Liquid Paraffin.Consult your doctor on the same .Include a lot of XXXXXXX vegetables and fruits in your diet, they are fibre XXXXXXX

Hope this answers your query, I am available for follow ups.

Follow-up: What is the best sleeping position after an inguinal repair surgery ? 5 hours later

Many thanks for the answer...one follow up if I may....last night was my first night after the surgery and I found myself urinating every 90 mins pretty much like clockwork. Is this normal?

Tk s
C

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later

Thanks for your follow-up.

Its nothing to really worry about. The urinary bladder and testicles are irritated because of the operation in the vicinity causing in increase in frequency of urination and the fluids administered through Intravenous also could be a cause for this. It will back to normal after the fluids are stopped and the tissue heals.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.