What is the best product available in market for hair loss?

Jul 2012

what is the best product available in market(medical stores) to get over the counter for Hair treatment..
My current age 28, gender Male ;Suffering from Hair loss due to heredity from age of 20+. And my both parents have hair loss.
1. I learned that there is no permanent solution to Hair re-growth as of now , is it true.
2. I heard of a product called 'Rhogaine/Minoxidil 5% ' in US which helps regrow hair and maintain and make stronger existing hair. Is this or similar products available in India/Bangalore. Is this recommended by doctors. Have also herd of reviews as soon as we stop using this product we go back to original state.
3. Last time about a year or 2 back when I went to a doctor and he gave me a 3 months prescription of tables and sme oil to be applied on my scalp. Though after 3 months i saw some hair growing but as soon as i stopped/ course completed it went back to earlier or worse state. Also want to mention that the oil which I was applyins gave some itching some times.
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 40 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Note your history with interest.
Yes Rogaine 5% available in india (minoxidil pharmacological name) & available as a foam based lotion & spray too. It is to be used twice/day on dry scalp..for a 3-6 mth period to start with & re-evaluate. Yes it is true that when stopped, the hair that has grown 'may' fall...but again, may not. There is a newer derivative called nanoxidil currently available in the U.S. with fewer side effects as opposed to minoxidil & claimed better effectiveness.
Personally i do not recommend oils topically as in my opinion, useless.
Finasteride 1mg once/day & hair transplantation other good options.
It is better to be seen in person though & you may choose any dermatologist nearest your place of residence.
Cheers & hope this answers all your queries & for further discussions, best done in person with your dermatologist & a deciscion taken based on finances & expectations et al based on your current hair levels/hair status etc. Please feel free to close the query & provide a feedback/rating & if in Blore, you may call on me XXXXXXX (today being XXXXXXX Jayanthi am off). Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital,
Bangalore, India
Tel: 0000 (10am-2pm; 4pm-6:30pm pls)