What is the best acute treatment for an occasional alcohol overdose?

Nov 2013

What is the best acute treatment for an occasional alcohol overdose? I'm usually a runner with occasions of pain. Th ank you,
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Generally, no treatment is necessary if the alcohol overdosage is not too much. Symptoms would improve on own, after the alcohol level reduces on own. However, there is a need to watch for hypoglycaemia (low sugar). Glucose should be taken to avoid this complication. Secondly, thiamine (vitamin B1) is also required in patients with alcohol overdosage to prevent damage to certain vital parts of brain. If there is severe alcohol overdosage, hemodialysis may be required to remove the excess alcohol from the body rapidly. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India