What is the bad smell from the nostril?

ENT Specialist
Hi, my 2 year old son has this bad smell coming from his right nostril of and on for about 5 months now. It's so bad sometimes I can smell it from sitting beside him:( we saw a ENT speicialist and he took a small piece of mucus out of his right nostril, it seemed a bit better for awhile but I can totally smell it again just by holding him. What could be the problem? I took him to the doctor 4 times before we saw the specialist . I'm tired of doctor visits with no improvements. Do you have any answers ? Thanks for listening !and he's very whinny and demanding. What tests should I be asking for?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Foreign body, Adenoids, Sinusitis, Polyps Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. If there is a one sided foul smelling nasal discharge, the first cause to rule out is a foreign body in the nose. 2. Other common causes include adenoid hypertrophy (very common) and sinusitis. 3. Rare causes include Polyps, incomplete nasal development (Choanal Atresia), nasal masses and many rare causes, the description of which is outside the scope of this answer. Is there any history of a blood stained nasal discharge / mucus? 4. I hence recommend that a ENT Specialist examine him again. There are a number of tests such as X-rays, CT Scans, nasal swabs for bacterial (and fungal) culture and a nasal endoscopy under anesthesia which may be done depending upon the clinical findings. 5. You may follow up with the investigation and repeat examination reports here. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the bad smell from the nostril? 48 hours later
Hi, no he doesn't have any bloody discharge. Sometimes it's light green or clear discharge. Just while having lunch today I cod smell it again and it was clear. And just the one side as always.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. I have outlined the investigation plan in detail above (in the previous answer). 2. Kindly discuss the same with your doctors and follow up. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.