What is the average height of a 12 years old? How to increase height?

I have a 12 year old daughter and she is considered short for her age at 54 inches. Is there anything she can do to increase her height? Do supplements work?
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Hello ,
At 12 years of age , the average height of a girl would be 58 inches or 147 centimetres. Of course you cannot consider only one parameter to decide whether the child is short for age or not. There are several other factors which play a vital role. First of all , the mid parental height i.e the average heights of both the parents taken into average, any family history of short stature, her arm span, her upper and lower segment ratio, the race/nationality of the child, her nutritional status, the daily activity of the child, past height to weight ratio records etc.
What I will suggest you is to go back to your pediatrician, have a detailed work up on anthropomometry, i.e the detailed parameters of the child- height ,weight, arm span, segmental ratios etc.
Also I would suggest you to get a thyroidal hormone status checked for your child. Regarding the supplements other laboratory tests, your primary pediatrician will be your best guide.
Hope I have answered your query and cleared your doubts.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: What is the average height of a 12 years old? How to increase height? 2 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. I will certainly take your advice and check with my daughter's pediatrician. For my general knowledge though I would like to know whether there are any supplements or vitamins or foods that are proven to promote growth in height in young children. At present, she takes 1 Haliborange Kids Multivitamin Fruit Softie and 1 Seven Seas "Once-a-Day" cod liver oil capsule. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 11 hours later

Good morning. Thanks for your follow up.

The multi-vitamins whatever you are giving to your child at present is more than enough. I do not think any extra supplements are required. There is no evidence that specific supplements or nutrients would aid in improving the height in children. Please be relaxed. It will get better with time. Please make sure you get a detailed work up on your child done by a pediatrician.

I would suggest you to get her involved in more outdoor activities like swimming and playing a simple game like rope skipping or basketball.

Thank you.

With regards