What is the appropriate diet and exercises to control blood sugar levels ?

One of my brother has blood sugar level high of 320. He was not aware when he got sugar problem. He had got hurt on his leg and it didn't cure faster. After the tests it was confirmed his sugar level in blood is high.
he was fat, has been doing exercises, on diet. He has lost a lot of weight and is normal with his weight now. But yet his blood sugar level has not reached normal.
His diet includes fiber XXXXXXX veg, chapati and little rice
Can someone please let me know what could be the reason? What else needs to be done if he must get to normalcy. He is still on his medication.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 43 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Very high levels of sugar first need to be controlled by medication and along with that diet and exercise help to maintain the levels.

Since his Blood sugars were quite high when detected and if they are not being controlled even by use of medications then he would probably require Insulin injections and monitoring of levels on a daily basis until they are controlled.

Then he can take oral medications regularly.

Kindly ask him to visit a Diabetelogist earliest for evaluation of Blood Sugars.

So that appropriate therapy can be started soon as continuously raised Blood sugar can lead to other complications as feet being the commonest and eye,nerves etc.

1)Ask him to continue with low fat,low carbohydrate and high fibre diet
2)Do a regular brisk walk or exercise for 45 minutes daily.
3)Avoid smoking and alcohol completely.
4)Practice relaxation techniques as Yoga/Meditation etc.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query
Follow-up: What is the appropriate diet and exercises to control blood sugar levels ? 38 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Mitaly,

From the details you have provided, i understand my brother has been doing all what you have mentioned. Excluding the insulin injections and meditation.

He visits the Diabetelogist regularly and also got his eyes tested. And they are normal. Probably suggested by his doctor to cross-check.

I would check with him on his medication and injections. But anything else you can think of would be of great help.

Thank You!

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 22 minutes later
Hi Mamtha,

Thanks for the follow up

It is appreciable that he is following all the things regularly and these are to be incorporated on a daily basis in his schedule.

If he has started the medications recently then it might take some time for the levels to be controlled since oral medicines are not absorbed completely by the body.

Then Insulin injections are recommended for controlling the sugar levels.He can discuss with his treating Doctor regarding this.

Some measures which he can follow:
1)Take two teaspoons of Fenugreek seeds and soak in water overnight.Take these seeds in the morning after getting up.It will help in controlling sugar.
2)Have chapatis made of gram and barley flour.
3)Consume lots of Soyabean dal as it has iron,calcium,fibre.
4)Eat at least five fruits every day. Fruits like banana,cranberries, figs, pomegranate juice and citrus fruits are good for Diabetics.
5)Have Amla or Gooseberry juice daily.It helps in controlling sugars.

Wishing him Good health!