What is the alternative over the counter medicine for pinaverium bromide?

May 2014

I was diagnose with Colitis in my country Costa Rica, but I run out of the medication; ca n I get this medicine or something alike over the counter (pinaverium bromide). And what other medication will interact with it? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. Pinaverium belongs to the class of medications called gastrointestinal calcium antagonists. It relaxes gastrointestinal (GI) structures primarily by inhibiting Ca2+ influx through potential-dependent channels of surface membranes of smooth muscle cells of intestines and gives relief from pain and colitis. Dicetel is a common form of the medication sold in most countries. You may have to contact your local pharmacy to know if they supply it as an over the counter medication. People with galactose intolerance, Lapp lactase deficiency, or glucose-galactose malabsorption should discuss with their doctor how this medication may affect their medical condition, how their medical condition may affect the dosing and effectiveness of this medication, and whether any special monitoring is needed. Contact of pinaverium with the lining of the throat may be irritating. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that the tablet be taken with a glass of water during meal time. If more than 3 tablets are taken per day, the additional tablet(s) should be taken at the same time with a glass of water and a snack. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek