What is the alternative medication for Budisonide for microscopic colitis?

Hello, I was taking Budisonide for the microscopic colitis I have but as it has become too expensive several other medications were suggest. Sulfasalazine, Balsalazide Disodium, Apriso, Lialdl and Pentasa. Which would you suggest would be the best alternative? I also take, Lisanapril, Cymbalta, Averstatin and Synthoid each day. I would appreciate whatever you can tell me about the suggested alternative list. Also, do they interact with any of the daily medications I already take?. Thanking you in advance. XXXXXXX XXXX.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: The best alternative is Mesalazine... Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for posting. Microscopic colitis is an inflammatory diseases, that is manifested by diarrhea, that is alternated by constipation. The treatment of this disease mainly is anti inflammatory medicines. The best is Mesalazine, that is an oral medicine. This medicine doesn't interact with other medicines you are taking. Mesalazine is taken only for a short period of time, and you can repeat this treatment whenever you need it. I guarantee you that this medicine will help you and you will feel more comfortably in your daily life. Consult your gastroenterologist for a prescription. Hope this answers your query, feel free to ask me if you have any doubts. Dr. Behar.
Follow-up: What is the alternative medication for Budisonide for microscopic colitis? 36 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt answer. My doctor gave me Lialda to try and I feel it is not doing anywhere near the job the Budisnode did. So, I will call and request the Mesalazine as you have suggested. I have to take 4 each day of the Lialda will the Mesalazine be only one pill a day? Thank you. XXXXXXX XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue the following treatment... Detailed Answer: Well, Thank you for writing back. In cases such as yours, I would use the following regimen, when you consult your doctor, he/she will give you precise directions on how to take the medicine. The first two days, Mesalazone 500mg, 1 pill a day. On the third and fourth day, Mesalazone 500mg 1 pill twice a day. From the fifth day to the tenth, Mesalazone 500mg 2 pills twice a day. Please do consult your doctor and request for a prescription, and also keep in mind, your doctor's directions can be different, and you will need to follow that strictly. Hope I helped you. Dr. Behar.