What is the alternative for colonoscopy for an old lady?

General Surgeon
Hello Dr., My grandma is 77 yrs old and is bedridden for the past two years due to an unsuccessful hip bone surgery. She has arthritis. For the past few days she is passing blood along with her stool. The physician suspects an ulcer of colon but is suggesting that a colonoscopy would be difficult for her at her advanced age. Pl suggest alternatives including capsule endoscopy of colon. I am based at kolkata in India
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 10 hours later

In summary, an elderly bed ridden female ,known case of arthritis ,post unsuccessful hip surgery,passing blood along with stool.

Blood in stool can be due many reasons.Reasons vary whether the blood is fresh red colored or altered( black or brown colored) blood or depending upon on her bowel habit also .It can be due to simple bacterial infection of large gut ( colon) or drug induced if she is taking any medicines. Some times in elderly more serious disease can also present with blood in stool. As her condition is not permissible for colonoscopy ,she can rightly go for capsule endoscopy.If feasible for her she can go for barium study of large gut . Best result are of colonoscopy. Contrast enhanced CT & MRI may help to reach the diagnosis.Help of experienced endoscopist may prove fruitful.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish her Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.