What is the allowed alcohol intake when on antidepressants?

Jun 2014

Hi, My mother takes Paxil and drinks alcohol. She likes to have a glass or two of wine every night (sometimes 2 martinis). However, three nights ago she met a girlfriend for lunch and had a martini with lunch and a glass of wine after. She returned home approx. 3:00pm, then started drinking wine for the remained of the evening. The next days she felt horrible. She complain about her eyes hurting and was extremely fatigued. I am aware that alcohol and antidepressants are not comparable, however, he doctor said she can drink alcohol (she's 81 yrs. old). I tried to explain to her that meant a glass once in a while, however, she refuses to believe. Can you help?hat do you suggest as far as a safe amount of alcohol to drink daily?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not more than two pegs Detailed Answer: HI Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query. As a psychiatrist, i never recommend any patient to drink alcohol because it is very difficult to control amount after starting it. If your mother does not want to stop it, then recommend dose of alcohol in female is two (30 ml each) pegs of whisky per day or 14 pegs in a week. At her age, dose of alcohol should not be more than 60ml per day. Try to control her amount. In case, you need further help, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist