What is te

My 6months daughter who has jus recovered(month n half before) from viral pneumonia, had dry coughing (approx 2-3 times a day not more than that) since past2 weeks. now coughing in reduced to 1--2 times a day.Along with that since past 3 days once she vomited and has fever(past 2days) almost constant of 99.3 but not 100.medicine advised by doctor who says throat infection are T-minic,calpol, advent, .She vomited yesterday as i gave her advised drops after morning also she vomitted the milk and drops.hence fever drops cudnt b given.fever reached 100.4. Pls suggest if on right medicine and diagnosis.i donno how this infection reached her as we XXXXXXX go for outing at all and only thing we did was we started sleeping in AC.Pls suggest as its bothering lot.she is quite silent and feed isnt fine.

1.coughing past2weeks[dry, 2-3 times a day]
2.coughing 1--2times, vomiting once in day[past 3 days]..yesterda n today vomiited after taking drops
3.fever accompanied day before yesterday, todaymorning reached 100.4
4.feed not fine, sleep disturbances in night mostly
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 42 minutes later
Hi Prathiba,

From the detailed history you have written about your child, I am of the opinion of viral fever or bacterial infection. This necessarily need not be a pneumonia again. It is good to know that the cough has come down over a short period of time.

The medicines the doctor has prescribed are ideal for her condition.You may continue the same treatment.

Few episodes of vomiting could be due gastritis produced my medications or due to infection .Since she does not have any other complaints like loose stools ,excessive crying, etc.. I do not feel this could be due to any other cause.

You may try these measures

1.Give her breast milk as much as possible, take frequent breaks and feed her as much as she can take .

2. If you have started to wean her with complementary feeds , give good amount of fluids , you could also consider giving ORS if vomiting increases.We must always keep the child hydrated as dehydration is very common during infections.

3.If it is not feasible for an oral medication for fever, you could consider giving PARACETOMOL SUPPOSITORIES through anal/rectal route.Consider this option after discussing with the doctor.

4.Avoid AC rooms, she may not tolerate the cold temperature well during infection.

Since the doctor examined her, I would rely on his diagnosis and agree with the treatment. So continue the same treatment.

If the fever continues for long, she may need blood and urine investigations and antibiotics for treatment.

Feeding problems and sleep irregularities are meant to happen during an infection, once the infection subsides her appetite will improve and she will be fine with time.It may take a week or so for complete recovery.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well.

Wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: What is te 4 hours later
Thanks doctor. Loose stool started immediately after medicines started. Today those loose stools have become less loose....AC rooms cant be avoided as too hot here.
One more thing what can be given apart from milk.Also is this infection might have triggered because of cold as well. Do we have to keep her covered.
She also pulls her ear a lot. can it be ear infection also?

Disturbing thing is that her fever is constant. After calpol it goes down , say for an hour or 2, and again the same temp 98.6(underarms). Please suggest. Doctor has advised that as she is vomitting immediately after medicine hence give her motinorm and then other medicines so that she doesnt throws. Pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 12 hours later

Thanks for following up.

Based on your description you report of 2 problems -
1. Cough going on for fortnight which is recently improving
2. Fever since last few days and that is not responding to calpol.

It is quite possible that both the condition may have been caused by 2 different infections and as mentioned in the previous answer both are probably viral in nature.

Since cough has reduced, I wish not comment on it.

Now to answer your fresh queries,

1. The medication which she is on is unlikely the cause of loose stool. It is to see loose stool in a viral infection. Reduction in the frequency of stools is a good sign suggestion that we leave it alone. I suggest that you give her good amount of fluids to keep her well hydrated.

2. It will benefit your daughter to avoid low temperature. If AC rooms cannot be avoided, I suggest you to keep the temperature at room temperatures of around 20 to 23 degree celcius. Keeping her covered with thick blankets could be avoided.

3. Pulling ear is not related to infection. Infection is unlikely to have occurred due to pulling of ear.

4. Viral infection is self limiting infection which recovers gradually in a few days. Fever often persists as long as infection stays. Calpol syrup in the right doses given round the clock (in the frequency of 4-6 hours) are often necessary. In between medication, if temperature goes above 100deg F, use of warm water tipid sponging (sponging the armpits, forehead and the rest of body with water) can be practiced. You may discuss with your doctor and follow it.

5. If vomiting is recurring, then use of anti emetic medications is appropriate. Motinorm is supposed to be a good anti emetic. You may use it as suggested by your doctor.

Since she is vomiting frequently, though it is good to keep her nourished and hydrated, too much of changes in her diet now is probably not suitable. Continue with previous diet. Once her symptoms are better, appropriately wean her to solid food.

Hope you find my answer useful.

Wish you and your daughter good health!!