What is subcortical degenerative cyst found in MRI done due to hip discomfort?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just had an MRI due to right hip discomfort. They found a subcortical degenerative cyst. What is this and now what
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to bone thinning. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The main symptom for which you had this MRI was a painful hip, and at your age the most likely cause is osteoarthritis often referred to by lay people as wear and tear arthritis. Consequently the most likely cause of your cyst will be the osteoarthritis itself, although in rare instances cysts can occur for other reasons. Osteoarthritis is the commonest type of arthritis, affecting about 10 per cent of the population as a whole and 50 per cent in those over 50 years of age. What happens in osteoarthritis is that there is a gradual erosion of the cartilage that covers the bone ends in any joints and it becomes progressively thinned as the disease proceeds. As cartilage is lost from the surfaces of the bones in the joint, increased activity and remodelling occurs in the bone underneath. Bone cysts, which are areas of relative thinning of the bone, show up as hollow areas on the MRI adjacent to the joint itself. For this reason the treatment will generally be that chosen for the arthritis itself. In a painful hip, for example, a hip replacement will often be the treatment of choice if there is significant evidence of osteoarthritis, in which case the cyst will be dealt with at the same time as that procedure. If it is an independent problem, and it is the cyst rather than the arthritis causing the pain, then it needs to be investigated as to its underlying nature and treated accordingly. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: What is subcortical degenerative cyst found in MRI done due to hip discomfort? 5 hours later
Thank you. Is it ever a cancer and should I tell them that on the same side my right knee and ankle have had issues as well but not like my hip
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not likely to be cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If the cyst is not gradually increasing in size then it is not likely to be due to cancer. It is best to give your detailed past history for a proper treatment. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards