What is stamina?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have become a lazy man. I am overweight by 10 kgs. (168 cm and weight 85 kgs). what is stamina and how we can build it ? do you recommend High intensive exercise ?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can do high intensive exercise. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. "Stamina" is the strength and energy needed to exert oneself for an extended period of time. The word most commonly refers to the exertion needed for physical activities like exercise and sports. - Eat a healthy, balanced diet. - Stay hydrated. - Get plenty of physical exercise. You can start your workouts but start gradually.warm up exercise is advisable.Increase the grade of exercise gradually. - Choose physical activities that you love. - Gradually build up to the your target level of stamina. Stamina encompasses both cardiovascular endurance and muscular endurance. Yes, you can do high intensive exercises. High intensity interval training can be applied to ANY mode of movement, including walking and swimming. It consists of very brief bursts of maximal effort, alternating with a minute to several minutes of easy pacing. Thus, high intensity interval training can be applied to jumping jacks, stair climbing, high-knee marching, hitting a heavy bag, etc. The “work interval” should last 30-60 seconds. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care