What is recommended for painful loose stools with blood, smelly gas, cramps and bloating?

General Surgeon
HI I am a 33 year old female. I have been experiencing some perplexing symptoms, my pcp suggested to have colonoscopy and egd, but my insurance would make me pay out of pocket, and I can not afford this unless totaly necessary. My history, PCOS leading to inferility, had triplet daughters after many treatments. Had chiari 1 post decompression surgery in 2011, in 2010 had colonoscopy and egd, had polyps and had harmed my gut with motrin due to headaches. Now the pain I have started about month ago(I have always had trouble with my stomach) I had many loose bms that were painful and one episode of significant amount of bright red blood in commode, then it stopped, would go two days then many painful loose stools so on. I have had period every 2 weeks(on progesterone daily to try to regulate due to my pcos and I had no monthly period before taking progesterone) Now since monday my lower abdomen around to my lower back, it starts gradual and gets severe like a contraction, I have foul smelling gas at times, and bloating. Like right now my entire stomach is tight and severe crampy like. When I have bm it is painful, but not constipated. I am wondering could it be female related. I am just trying to go the right route, as I have triplet girls, We live on a budget and I need to spend my money wisley but I need to get better and this pain is getting crazy. please help
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of fissure Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXXX I do understand your concern and I assure you will definitely be reasonable in my advise. I would consider the following the probable diagnosis based on your history 1. Fissure in anus(small ulcer in the mucocutaneous junction of anus): it leads to painful bowel movements due to spasm of anal internal sphincter. It will also cause bleedung,especially there is bright streaking of blood over the surface of well formed stools. This condition may lead to incomplete evacuation of stools leading to bloating of abdomen. Diagnosis of this condition requires visual inspection of the anus by experienced surgeon. 2. Colitis ; inflammation of colon due to protozoal infection like amoebiasis could have such symptom. Diagnosis will require stool microscope examination I would probably think more in terms of fissure in anus. I would suggest you the following which will definitely help you. 1. Thorough examination of anus to rule out Fissures by your Surgeon. In case you have constraints in visiting Surgeon., you can send us clinical photograph of Perianal region . 2. Hot seitz bath : Add a handful of water in a small tub of lukewarm water and you immerse the bottom in it by sitting in tub for 15 to 20 minutes every session for 3 session a day. It will help relax the anal sphincter and will provide the much needed relief 3. Consume adequate quantity of water, at least 2 to 3 liter a day. It will help in maintaining normal consistency of stool. 4. Consume High fiber diet 5. Avoid constipation causing foods like refined wheat flour. 6 . Local application of Xylocaine ointment to Perianal region 15 to 20 minutes before retiring to rest room will be effective in relieving pain due to fissure 7. A trial of antibiotic Metronidazole for 7 days will be useful in empirical treatment of colitis. I would suggest you to follow the above and will definitely address all your issues, at any point you require any assistance get back to me will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon