What is prescribed for a 60 year old male ,

Cardiologist
Question
What is prescribed for a 60 year old male , 205 lbs with blood pressure averaging 142/100 ?
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your actual blood pressure values are a little high, especially the diastolic blood pressure values.

Anyway, a single high blood pressure value is not indicative of uncontrolled hypertension.

For this reason, I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values for a week (in sitting position after ten minutes of total relax) and note those values down.

If your blood pressure is above the normal ranges (140/90 mm Hg) most of the time, I would recommend first performing some tests to investigate for other possible causes of secondary hypertension:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes
- fasting glucose
- thyroid hormone levels
- blood lipid profile
- kidney and liver function tests.

Before going into a medical treatment, with such blood pressure values, I would first recommend some natural tips to lower your blood pressure values:

- reduce salt and caffeine intake
- perform a lot of physical activity (walking, aerobics, sports, etc.)
- try to lose some weight if your are overweight.

If these tips don't help and your blood pressure values is still high, I would recommend starting a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine, lercanidipine, etc.) or an ARB (valsartan, etc.).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri