What is petechiae?

Question
I wanted to know about Petechiae, and its relations to the seroconversion of hiv. I have had low risk sexual encounters which envolved mainly oral sex for 1-2min spans and protected sex. i recently started to have bruises(Petechiae) appear on my chest and now my back. I'm worried can i please have more information on Petechiae. Also I was recently told my vitamin D levels were low, can this have something to do with the bruising?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later

Can you provide some more info?
1.How long ago was your low risk sexual encounters?
2.When did you notice the petechiae?
3.Did you have any tests done,also for HIV?
4.Any itching,etc?

Follow-up: What is petechiae? 13 minutes later
Can you provide some more info?

1.How long ago was your low risk sexual encounters? About 4 1/2 weeks ago
2.When did you notice the petechiae? Sunday i noticed the one under my left pectoris.

3.Did you have any tests done,also for HIV? In march was my last hiv test and a physical where i was told i had a low level of vitamin D.

4.Any itching,etc? no itch just tender like a bruised feeling

Thanks for the follow up.

First, petechiae is basically broken blood vessels under the skin. Most common causes can be bleeding disorders, trauma, viral illness, drugs etc.

HIV infection has a window period of 6 weeks to 6 months. Symptoms show many months after that. In your case, even if we assume that you were exposed 5 weeks ago, it would be too early to show symptoms.

Secondly, vitamin D deficiency won't have these symptoms.

I suggest that you get some blood tests done to rule out low platelets and bleeding disorders, anemia, icterus and enlarged liver/spleen. You also need a thorough physical examination.