What is peripheral neuropathy? Description on symptoms and treatment?

Nov 2013

What is peripheral neuropathy? Given the description of symptoms I sent a moment ago, what's going on with me and how do I get better?
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

Peripheral neuropathy refers to a disease of nerves of feet and hands. Symptoms include numbness, tingling and weakness. They begin symmetrically in both feet and as the disease progresses, hands are also affected. Diabetes is the commonest cause for peripheral neuropathy.

Your symptoms are suggestive of cervical disc disease, with possibly a pinched nerve in the neck. This can lead to most of the symptoms you have described. Your recent physical exertion could have aggravated this.

The diagnosis can be confirmed by an MRI of the cervical spine.

For relief of symptoms, you may take pregabalin or gabapentin capsules. Your local doctor will know about these drugs.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist