What is panchakarma treatment, will it help reduce weight. Suggest best ayurvedic medicines for obesity?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hello Doctor,
what is panchakarma treatment ?will it help us to reduce the weight and toxins..
what is the best ayur medicines for obesity.I am 33 yrs old.
Pls advise.
Best regards XXXXX
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Panchkarma & Weight

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your concern and here is point wise explanation

1. Panchkarma is a preventive method of purification and rejuvenation in long term maintenance of health and curative method in some disease.
2. 'Panch' means five and 'Karma' means procedure (therapeutic) i.e. five therapeutic/preventive procedure for the cleansing of body toxins.
3. In Ayurveda we consider Cholesterol as "AAM" (toxin) and to stop the further production of AAM along with Dietary regime,life style modifications, Panchkarma is advised to the patient.
4. Obesity is a life style disorder due to sedentary habits, but can be due to high cholesterol,raised blood sugar level and due to under active thyroid, so prior to commencing therapy and medicine do let me know about the said Investigations (if done).
5. Ayur. Medicine chiefly stress on developing healthy eating habits, Exercise, and Dietary Regime on what to Eat and which food to Avoid.
6. As you have not mentioned your WEIGHT, thus before explaining about weight reduction measure through Panchkarma, it is necessary to know about your expected Weight for proper line of management, as any procedure of Panchkarma requires close supervision and observation.
7. Please let me know about any Investigations done and about your Weight so that I can give my Opinion on Panchkarma Procedure suitable for you and also about Dietary regime and lifestyle modifications.

Do revert back with your concerns

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Naimaittika Clinic.
Follow-up: What is panchakarma treatment, will it help reduce weight. Suggest best ayurvedic medicines for obesity? 2 hours later
Dear Dr.Munish Sood,

Good Morning!

I am 33 years old and 86 kgs. Height is 5.10F

As on today i am free from cholesterol, diabetes and BP. Unfortunately i have a bP & sugar family history.

I am a non vegetarian. I do smoke and drink.

I do go for walk about 6 kms 4-5 days in a week from 1 month.
Please advice the best solution to reduce the weight by using Ayur medicine.

Please help.

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Preventive and Panchkarma Aspect

Detailed Answer:
In Ayurveda,apart from Medicine, we look into the Dietary Aspect as well as lifestyle modifications for overall benefits and outlook of the disease and patient, same is mentioned below for your consideration:
.sedentary lifestyle, day time sleeping after meals, newly harvested rice, curd, butter, ghee,cheese,cream,chocolates,cakes,pastries,ice-creams XXXXXXX
. avoid potatoes,sweet potatoes,beets,yam,nuts,fruits with sweet pulp like mango, chickoos, bananas and grapes.
.oils should be reduced to minimum,avoid deep fried foods like puries,bhujees, potato chips.
. avoid processed and tinned foods,opt for fresh foods
. drinking cold water after exercise.
. Eliminate all cold food and drink,you should eat nothing that is refrigerator cold.

.start the meal with large bowl of thin soup,followed by good volume of salads prepared with green vegetables (cabbage,cauliflower,lettuce,cucumber, sprouted pulses). This will prevent you from taking extra servings of the meals.Drink plenty of water and diluted buttermilk.
.Avoid rice,take roti or phulka,without oil or ghee.The bhaji servings should be prepared from green leafy vegetables,onions,cauliflower’s,lady’s finger,radish, turnips, mushrooms, sprouted pulses. Oil may be substituted by gravy of tomato, onion, garlic, and ginger, in the curry or bhaji for taste.
. For morning and evening snacks, take recommended fruits,vegetables and low fat (skimmed) milk, black tea without sugar has negligible calories.
. Carbohydrates: fat requires carbohydrates to burn, so take them in moderation. (millets,barley,rice and corn)
.Use low fat spreads and chutney on bread instead of butter and cheese.

. Do not eat only 2 large meals a day.It leads to overeating due to hunger.Take snacks in between.It is advisable to eat a good breakfast and light lunch and dinner.
. Keep a quiet and pleasant atmosphere in the dining hall.Watching TV while eating, talking,arguments,angry discussions all lead to overeatin g.
. Eat slowly,chewing each bite thoroughly gives a feeling of satiation.
. do not be tempted to finish up the leftovers.
. use nonstick cooking ware for cooking.

.     Some Ayurveda compounds which are prescribed in India for weight reduction include: Triphala,Arogya vardhini Vati,,Chandraprabha Vati,Triphala Guggulu and since these are prescription drugs you should contact with your Local Ayurveda Physician regarding their dosage because overuse of guggulu can cause dryness of mouth,faintness,emaciation,and looseness of limbs.

Because Panchkarma requires expert guidance and supervision you should contact an Ayurveda Physician of same field in your Locality to discuss the outcome and nature of procedure.
PS: I generally recommend patient to go for UDVARTAN (Powder massage) and Swedana (FOMENTATION)for dissolving excess fat, clearing the obstructed channels responsible for weight gain.

Home Remedies:
1. 10 grams of Amalaki Churan with water,twice a day along with Udvartan treatment.
2. fried hingu (asafoetida) with honey.
3. honey+ water in morning
4. XXXXXXX Namaskar

Do revert back for any clarifications

Dr. Munish Sood