Ask a Dentist   »  

What is neuritis, as diagnosed by a dentist?

Hi my daughter has just been told she has neuritis from her dentist, what is this?????
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Neuritis simply refers to inflammation of a nerve. In a dental sense it likely refers to inflammation along the gum line which can cause some pain and sensitivity.

This type of neuritis will typically clear up with good dental hygiene especially with good daily flossing technique. If the pain is bothersome I recommend tylenol or ibuprofen as directed on the bottle for a few days.

Again with good hygiene things should gradually clear up and resolve.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response has been helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga