What is nabothian cyst? How does it occur?

Mar 2013
cystwhat exactly is a nabothian cyst and how do people get them?
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later

A nabothian cyst is a mucus-filled lump / sac on the surface of the cervix.

The cervix is lined with glands and cells that release mucus. The glands can become covered by a type of skin cells called squamous epithelium. When this happens, the secretions build up in the plugged glands. They form a smooth, rounded bump on the cervix. The bump is called a nabothian cyst. It is full of the inspissated ( blocked ) mucus secretions of the cervical glands.

Each nabothian cyst appears as a small, white raised bump. There can be more than one.

During a pelvic exam, your gynecologist detects a small, smooth, rounded lump (or collection of lumps) on the surface of the cervix. Rarely, magnifying the area (colposcopy) may be needed to tell these cysts from other bumps that can occur.

Sometimes the cyst is opened to confirm the diagnosis.

Please do not worry, as no treatment is required for these.
Nabothian cysts do not cause any harm. They are a benign condition.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: What is nabothian cyst? How does it occur? 12 hours later
if a person frequently gets ovarian cyst are nabothian cyst common with that? I get multiple ovarian cyst, I've had my right ovary removed due to a 10cm cyst and I now get them on my left ovary. I found out on Wednesday that I have another ovarian cyst and a nabothian.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Ovarian cysts are entirely different from Nabothian cysts and there is no corelation between the two.
Follow-up: What is nabothian cyst? How does it occur? 25 hours later
will/ can the nabothian cyst cause pain during intercourse?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
Not in the least.
Only if you have endometriosis or cervical erosions / cervical growths, are you likely to have pain during intercourse.
Nabothian cysts are too minute and too harmless to cause any symptoms.