Ask a Urologist   »  

What is meant by urine appearance is cloudy and had trace of protein and bacteria?

My mom had urine test and want to clarify on the results: urine appearance was cloudy, had trace of protein and bacteria. Epithelial cells were numerous. What do all these mean? What measures need to be taken.

Also, is she diabetic?

Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 52 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern regarding your mother.

I have seen her medical history and investigation reports.

Urine test report shows traces of protein and many epithelial cells. These are suggesting that she may be having an infection. She can repeat the urine analysis to confirm the results or better would be to get an urine culture and sensitivity test done. The culture will confirm the type of infection and also suggest the appropriate antibiotic drugs that can be used.

She should continue to take treatment as suggested by her doctor to treat high cholesterol, anemia (Iron deficiency) and hypothyroidism.

For diabetes she can take diabetic diet and periodic check up of fasting, post prandial blood sugar and glycosylated hemoglobin may be done - say once every 3 months.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that.

Follow-up: What is meant by urine appearance is cloudy and had trace of protein and bacteria? 1 hour later
1. What risk she is at, with the current urine analysis report? Is there a chance/sign for her to get kidney stones, as protein trace is available?

2. Is she confirmed to be diabetic, with the details I gave already as

Reports (random glucose) in 2006, 2009, 2011 and 2012 showed mild range of diabetes, but Glucose fasting (taken yesterday) was 101 when permissible limit is 110.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 49 minutes later

Presence of trace of protein indicate filtration abnormality transient seen in Fever, Early nephropathy, etc. Though the presence of epithelial cell may be due to inflammation / Infection of urinary tract, kidney stone is a possibility.

At this point, the ideal approach will be to get an urine culture. Ultrasonogram of abdomen can be helpful if she has associated abdominal pain - the scan will confirm whether or not she has a stone. Please discuss this approach with her treating doctor.

Fasting blood glucose (FBS) of 101 is normal and postprandial blood sugar (PPBS) 200 mg/dl is higher. However the current criterion to diagnose diabetes is FBS above 125 mg/dl. Therefore I will not label her as diabetic yet. She needs to follow a strict diabetic diet and repeat the test as mentioned earlier.

Hope this information helps you. Let me know if there are other enquiries
If there is no other queries, please close this discussion and rate my answer.

Follow-up: What is meant by urine appearance is cloudy and had trace of protein and bacteria? 20 hours later
Thanks! We're vegeterian. Pl suggest diabetic diet, as appropriate for my mom. Also, how shall we treat cholestrol without medication?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 19 minutes later

Thanks for your input,

She should take about 25 K cal/kg body weight and in the form of breakfast, lunch and dinner.
-     She can take XXXXXXX vegetable, Dal, and Roti.
-     Avoid butter, cheese, hydrogenated oil (Dalda).
-     Poly unsaturated oil like rice XXXXXXX oil/curdi oil (Sufola) may be used for cooking.
-     Please use rice and potato in limited quantity as they have high glycemic index.

For high cholesterol, you can try with diet control. If cholesterol is high even with diet control, take medications after consulting the treating physician.

Hope I have answered your query. If no more queries, kindly rate this answer and close the conversation.