What is meant by sinus rhythm, intra atrial conduction delay and borderline ECG?

What does this mean?
Sinus rhythm
intra atrial conduction delay
borderline ECG
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence. Let me try to explain the meaning of each term of report of ECG.
Sinus rhythm
Normally the impulse arises from right atrium and from there it goes to other atrium and most importantly ventricles. Atria are upper chambers of heart and ventricles are lower chamber of the heart between the atria and ventricle is Atrioventricular(AV) node. Sinus rhythm means that impulse is NORMALLY arising from right atrium.

Intra atrial conduction delay
The time taken by the electrical impulse from the sinus node to ventricle across the AV node is normally between 120 msec to 220 msec. In some it is prolonged to say 240 msec. That could be due to some drugs or it can be normal for that person.

Borderline ECG
As the abnormality has been detected in ECG, which can be normal for that person but in absence of any other abnormality, the computer is programmed to label the ECG as borderline. It depends on doctor whether any further examination or test is needed. More often than not, nothing more is required the fact is documented.

If there is any follow up question, I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine), DM(Cardiology)