What is meant by mucosal thickening in ethmoid sinuses and polypoidal mucosal thickening?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
hello I am XXXXXXX here,My father in law met with an accident and his CT scan says that he has "Mucosal thickening in ethmoid sinuses and polypoidal mucosal thickening in bilateral maxillary sinuses.What does it mean???As in health wise??And what should we do now???
He has been complaining of head aches after the accident,and there is swelling on the right hand side of his head where he got hurt during the accident,there are no external injuries but the pain still persists.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Mucosal thickening and polyps in sinuses are usually seen in chronic sinusitis. It may also be due to infection of the dental root. This can be treated with antihistamines like levocetrizine, decongestants and steam inhalation. Please consult your treating doctor before any medicine is started.

Headache can occur as a result of sinusitis and also due to head injury. You can give pain killers like Ibuprofen. It might take a few days or weeks to get relief from the pain due to the swelling on the head. So, do not worry and your father should take proper rest for fast recovery.

If the problem persists, you should consult an ENT specialist and a Neurophysician.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.