What is meant by leukocyte esterase level of 3+ and WBC 11.6?

Urologist
Question
Hi I have a leukocyte esterase level of 3+ with a WBC from my urinalysis at 20. With the CBC my WBC was 11.6. What could this mean?
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and Thanks for your query.
The urine tests most probably mean the urinary tract infection is spreading to the blood stream.
The next step would be to do urine culture test to look for the bacteria and the antibiotics that are needed to eradicate it. Meanwhile empirical antibiotics need to be given as the culture test result takes 2 days.

Kindly get medical advice and get well soon.
DR GS

Follow-up: What is meant by leukocyte esterase level of 3+ and WBC 11.6? 5 hours later
Thank you for yOur reply. My CBC overall showed 11.6 as WBC but my urine culture showed WBC to be 20 as stated in my original question. So with that said would your response be the same? Leukocyte was 3+ as well. Please advise.

Welcome back.
I understood the question, the first time itself.
The response is the same.

regards,
DR GS