What is meant by leaking breast. Should I be concerned?

Leaking breast nipple: I am 25 years old. what is the meaning of a leaky breast nipple. did not start to after a warm shower, today was the first time. should I be alarmed and get my breast exam done early.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

Leaking breast can be due to several conditions. most common of them is pregnancy upto 12 weeks, breast feeding, some benign tumors, hypoprolactenemia and about 3% of breast cancer. however the discharge from the nipple is different for different conditions. If your not pregnant or not feeding your child then it is recommended to have breasts examined by the doctor.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask

Follow-up: What is meant by leaking breast. Should I be concerned? 12 hours later
I am not breast feeding nor am I pregnant just for the first time while I was taking a hot shower, I noticed the thick milkie supstance coming from my nipple. Just had my cycle less than two days ago. I have since felt a little soreness as if it is irritated.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Well, in that case there might be chances of ductal infection or probability of certain other conditions, which I already have mentioned. You must visit the doctor and have a detailed examination but do not panic as it is mostly due to benign conditions.