What is meant by evidence of small joint effusion bilaterally and tricompartmental osteophytosis?

A 50 yr old ortho sx presents with bilateral knees with medial compartment narrowing and tricompartmental osteophytosis and evidence of small joint effusion bilaterally. Are these degenerative changes normal wear and tear or are they more significant for future disability?
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 17 minutes later
From your description, it seems like the person concerned has bilateral knee osteoarthritis.
This is a degenerative joint disease, not just a normal wear and tear. It is generally a slowly progressive condition, where some medications, exercises and sometimes intra articular injections may give relief. The medications used include non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen. Exercise including physiotherapy is required as well.

If the disease becomes painful and limits the quality of life, the definitive treatment is knee replacement.

So while it is difficult to predict future disability, there are several treatments available which can definitely improve the quality of life.

I hope I have been helpful.
Let me know if you have any more concerns